Are Medical Office Assistants in Demand?
In medical practice, medical office assistants perform day-to-day administrative tasks that support a smooth operation. In addition to working behind the desk, Medical Office Assistants sometimes interact directly with patients in the treatment room.
Administrative assistants in medical settings such as doctors’ offices, hospitals, and clinics perform a variety of secretarial and administrative duties.
In this article, you will learn what those duties usually entail, information on the demand of medical office assistants, and how to obtain a degree through Medical Office Assistant programs.
What Does A Medical Office Assistant Do?
A medical office assistant may find themselves performing many of the following tasks in a medical office or clinic setting:
- Receiving and communicating messages from staff and patients regarding medical appointments
- Preparation of spreadsheets, documents, and medical reports based on the use of electronic technology
- Fill out forms and documents after interviewing patients
- Complete all forms related to insurance and other claims
- Create, maintain, and update confidential medical records
- Creating draft agendas for meetings and preparing, recording, and disseminating minutes
- Prepare financial statements and invoices
- Establishing and maintaining various office administrative support procedures, such as tracking and filing documents, and providing monthly updates
- Supply orders and inventory management
- Establish and maintain office procedures and routines
- Supervise and train employees in the use of current software and procedures.
Are Medical Office Assistants In Demand?
Over the past few years, the prospect of finding work in this occupation has been positive. Employment opportunities exceeded available workers. Medical administrative assistants (NOC 1243) will continue to have a fair employment outlook for the Toronto region beyond 2021.
This outlook is influenced by the following factors:
- As employment declines, some positions will be lost.
- Retirements will create several vacancies.
- A limited number of unemployed workers have recent experience in this field.
Population growth, the need for health services, and recent investments in health care facilities in the economic region should create opportunities for this profession.
When considering your future, it’s wise to make the financial investment towards earning a medical assistant degree. In Canada, those with a medical office assistant degree can earn anywhere between $15.00-$32.00/per hour, depending on the region of work as well as experience.
Are You Looking For a Career as a Medical Office Assistant?
Providing Healthcare, Business, and Technology programs to the Mississauga and Toronto area since 1991, Citi College offers students hands-on experience in a classroom environment. A Medical Assistant Diploma program is available from Citi College, which provides practical, hands-on training for a career in the healthcare industry. Click here to find out more about our programs and how to enroll.